Saturday, October 16, 2010

Fair Trade Palestinian Olive Oil from Alter Eco

My brother Ray sent me this photo. (Thanks, Ray!) He bought this at his local food co-op in Eureka, California.

I wish I could buy some at mine!

This is from Alter Eco, an outfit based in San Franciso that specializes in Fair Trade food products.

This olive oil comes from the Canaan Cooperative, in Jenin, West Bank. The olives are Rumi.

My only quibble is that the olive oil is "extra virgin." Traditional olive oil from Palestine that is not "extra virgin" tastes much better, much more robust, much more flavorful. My friend Anne Meneley is doing research on Palestinian fair trade olive oil; she notes the unfortunate effects of the yuppy craze for "extra virgin" on Palestinian olive oil production.

In any case, this is well worth a try. You can order a bottle for yourself online here. $19.99 for a 12.7 oz. bottle. Try it on your homemade hummos. Or mix it with some garlic and yogurt, for a delicious dip. Que viva Palestina.

1 comment: